Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dinner at The Ginger Room

Last year, I went to Canberra on an overnight trip. Although eating was not my main purpose for the trip, it soon became the highlight. The night before the trip, a friend, who happens to be a chef himself, recommended a restaurant that I haven't even heard of. I quickly search the net for the restaurant's phone number and called the following day.

Fast forward, it was 6pm and I was sitting in a corner table and a few tables to my left is a couple who seemed to be on their first date. A couple of tables in front of me was a couple with their little girl. I did not think that the restaurant would be this quiet, but I guess being a week night, it might I should have expected it.

My meal started with an amuse bouche and some bread, followed by pan-fried fish for my entree, braised pork for main course and a lemon meringue tart for dessert. Every dish came out looking perfect and timing was great. I had enough time to rest for a little bit before the next course arrived. The dishes I had (and pretty much everything in the menu) were modern and Asian-inspired. The clever combination of ingredients and flavors were interesting and exciting to eat, something unexpected. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and I would come back the next time I'm in Canberra. Just like the dishes, I was also pleasantly surprised that it didn't cost me a fortune to dine at The Ginger Room. The cost of my 3-course meal - $69! Now, that's a bargain.


So the next time you are in Canberra, why not visit The Ginger Room at the Old Parliament House.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment